Friday, May 30, 2008

On the Hunt . . .

I've become a regular at Sears. I know every appliance in the store. In fact, we are on a first name basis. I've met the lovely, shiny, way out of my price range, GE Profile. The fancy, bells-and-whistles, only-in-my-dreams Bosch. The Kenmores, the Maytags, the Whirlpools, and all of their "wouldn't that look amazing in my kitchen" friends. I am not out to torture myself with endless, wishful window shopping. . . I'm on a mission. I'm searching for the perfect microwave. The over-the-stove, microhood kind. The one I had quit. No warning. No more warming. You wouldn't think it would take so much effort to pick a microwave, but it has for me. I need it in a certain color. I, of course, want a good price. I want it to look a certain way. . . the right handle, the right buttons, the right everything. I don't want brand confusion with my stove. (It shouldn't matter, I know. But, I'm weird that way.) It has been such a tough decision. I found myself locked in the store two nights this week. That's right, I was the last one there. The annoying shopper who holds everyone up from going home on time. The one who ignores the handful of announcements about the store closing in 10 minutes. . . 5 minutes. . . now. And not once, but twice. I did finally pick a microwave. Felt happy with my decision. Got relatively excited. Then, found out it couldn't be ordered. Out of stock. So, the whole process started over again! What an ordeal!
The whole experience got me thinking. . . am I putting as much effort into my prayer-life? I am a prayer-gal. I love to pray. I believe in the power of prayer. But, I have to wonder, (I have to be honest) do I get lazy? Do I give up quickly when I don't see the results I'm looking for? Do I let the devil convince me that I don't have enough time? Am I attacking my prayers with the same fervor I did in my appliance search? Am I willing to "stay late" in the presence of my God in order to make sure that no praise is left unsaid, no detail left out, no blessing left unnoticed, no request left "on the shelf"?
Odd as it sounds, I want my prayer-life to reflect my microwave hunt. Purposeful. Specific. Detailed. Passionate. PRIORITY.

6 comments:

The First Lady said...

Who knew a microwave could heat up your prayer life, too? Thanks for the thoughts! I'll remember them as I zap last nights dinner.

Unknown said...

A fantastic post!

It reminds me that I have a greater tendency to be patient when it comes to areas of searching and/or waiting, that are not about God. However, when it comes to things that are about God, I don't want to be put out in any sort of way!

Thanks for the humble reminder!!!

I Love You!!!

...Don't you all agree she should have been doing this blogging thing long before she has been???

Jennifer said...

I loved this post, I've been doing two different studies on prayer, and I loved your unique comparison. I agree with your husband, I think I'm reading the next Beth Moore or Kay Arthur. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Brad and Amy said...

Wanna come down to TX and help me refrigerator shop??? I am dreading the process!!

Unknown said...

Hey Aubrey! I just found Jarrod's blog and then yours. I'm so excited for you guys! I had no idea that you had a baby. And, what a cute guy, with a very cute name. Though I know you found out a year ago that you were having a baby, I am just now finding out and am just thrilled for you. You guys both look so wonderful and Oliver is just a doll!!

Denyce (not really Rob, just using his account)

SS said...

That really makes me stop and think about where my priorities are. Thank you so much!