Friday, April 25, 2008

Shots and Smiles

Wednesday afternoon we experienced one of those inevitable, unavoidable, have-to-do-it-for-their-own-good, parental moments. We took Oliver to get his first set of shots! Ouch!! He was asleep when we got there. Peaceful. Content. Unaware. Unprepared for what was about to happen. Jarrod sat him on his lap. Pinned his arms against his little chest. And, before we knew it, whammo! One awful shot down. One awfully sad baby. I think it had to be easier for Jarrod than for me. He might have had to hold him, but I'm the one who saw his face. Heartbroken. Scared. Shocked. Hurt. I wanted to pick him up and tell him that nothing else bad was going to happen. But, of course I knew better. He still had two leg jabbing, tear inducing, "what in the world did you just do to me" shots left. Thankfully, in no time at all and three band-aids later, the whole ordeal was over. He ended up handling the situation pretty well. (His parents made it through okay too!) Tears only came when the shots did. And, he calmed down right away once we comforted him. Smiles even returned later that day.

I wonder if God has moments like that with us? Days when He has to let us go through something unpleasant, even painful, for our own good? Times when He allows the stabbing pain of loneliness, selfishness, bad decisions, or pride to prick our hearts? It must be awful for Him. He sees our broken lives, our hurt feelings, our scared souls. I'm sure He'd like to tell us that nothing else will ever hurt again like that. But, of course, He knows better. He knows us. We will mess up again. Life will be tough again. Tears will come again. He can't keep us from experiencing all the shots we take in life. We oftentimes have to endure the pain in order to grow. He will, however, hold us, comfort us, and carry us through until the band-aids fall off and the smiles return!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I was there, and it made me painfully remember my son and holding his "arms against his little chest." As easy as it was, it was equally as hard.

You made me think from a father's standpoint about how God must have felt when He had to let Jesus take the shots on the cross.

I am thankful that God, the Father, takes care of us as we take the shots of life!

What an excellent post! I love you!!!

Darrell said...

Aubrey,

Really insightful! Thanks!