Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Watch Out for Wild Turkeys

Jarrod and I were out for a drive the other day on one of our "coffee dates" when all of a sudden we had to come to a quick stop in order to let a group of wild turkeys cross the road in front of us. (Not something I'd experienced before.) After four or five had crossed the road, we started to take off but noticed one turkey running full speed toward the road in front of us in order to not be left behind by his "buddies". We slammed on the brakes, avoiding what could have been a nasty feather-flying moment, and watched as that last turkey joined his crew on the other side of the road. I had to laugh at the whole scene. I mean, how many people can't drive down the road because a herd of wild turkeys are running around them?! But, then it got me thinking about life in general. . . How many times do we think we've got things under control and start to "take off again" just to be bombarded by another "wild turkey". We take our eyes off our goal for a second and then get blindsided by problems, temptations, bad attitudes, etc. running full speed right at us. We have to be prepared at all times. For the "turkeys" we can easily see. And for the ones that come sneaking up beside us, running wildly, ready to cause a crash in our lives. Who knew so much could be learned from an encounter with wild turkeys?! I guess God can use anything to remind me of keeping my eyes on Him!!

4 comments:

Happy Mama said...

AUBREY!!!! Welcome to Blog land! I am SOSOSOSO happy for you and Jarod and also for Mr. Oliver (LOVE that name) who is so blessed to have amazing parents like you two. I am looking forward to keeping up with the three of you- you look great, like a Happy mama~ I am adding you to my blog roll. Love you girly! It's good to see your face!

Happy Mama said...

OK, One more thing... OLIVER IS SO ADORABLE!!!!! I just looked at his pictures and he has got quite the wardrobe! He is stylin'
Love the tiny church ties too! :) Precious.....

realitymomma said...

hey, girl. long time no see, hear or know! it's me amy (lee) whittle. cd,'s. you know?

1)great to see you in pics and hear about your life.
2) oliver is precious. what chubby cheeks!
3) hope to keep up with you now and learn more about you these days. this blog stuff is like one great big reunion.
4)did you do his nursery in raggedy ann and andy? (remember that)

Aubrey said...

Amy,
Soooo good to hear from you! This blog thing is a fun reunion!! I enjoyed checking your blog out - your girls are adorable. I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever. Life has changed so much for us both. It will be nice to catch up! I can't believe you remember about the raggedy ann and andy nursery!! We didn't do Oliver's room in that . . .too much time had passed, so we gave up on that idea. His nursery is lime green and chocolate brown with circles/polka dots on the walls and "happy frog" fabric. Add me to your blog roll if you want; I'm planning to add you to mine if that's okay?!