Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ready, Aim, Shoot!

Paper plates are no longer safe with me around. Even bowling pins are a bit afraid. It's true. You see . . . I've been to the shooting range! For one afternoon, I was the star actress in "Wild Wild West, Aubrey Get Your Gun". It all happened when we were in Kansas visiting my parents. My dad took me (and my brother-in-law) to the gun range for an afternoon of target practice. What an experience! A hands shaking, palms sweating, heart racing, experience. My first time holding a gun, shooting a gun, basically anything with a gun. Now that I think about it, my dad and brother-in-law were awfully brave! It was really fun. Scary. But, fun! I was a pretty decent shot for a first-timer. I even told Jarrod and my mom, when I came home that day, that I felt like Angelina Jolie in an action flick. (So my imagination is grand . . . let a girl dream, will ya?!) Who knew that "gun slinging" would end up being one of my favorite things I got to do on our vacation. Thanks, Dad! I had a great time! You are a great teacher!! Let's face it, you had a great student!!

Of course, my 'wild west experience' got me thinking. Sometimes, we need to try new and scary things for God. The kind of things that make our world's race and our comfort zones shake. We have to fill ourselves with bullets of bravery, imagination, passion, and willingness and take aim at the opportunities before us. Otherwise, we may never hit the target of what we're meant to do, or be, for God. So, what do you think? Ready. . . aim. . . . . . . . . .

7 comments:

The First Lady said...

Angelina Jolie, huh?;) Great comparison. What a talent you have. Thanks for sharing it.

Unknown said...

Aubrey Spencer... the next "Tomb Raider" or "Mrs. Smith"...

I couldn't wait to read your entry when you mentioned you finished one! GREAT STUFF!!!

Shooting for opportunities!

Just made me think of the "pop out" targets, how our opportunities to share Jesus are sometimes like that...are we ready?

Darrell said...

That's shooting straight from the hip!
You sure pulled the trigger on this one!
You hit the target!
You've got the truth in your sights!
Somebody stop me!
Love you,
Dad

realitymomma said...

what fun! love your analogy with the shooting for opportunities. it related well to mine. you need to go and read my blog. we are on the same "target!"

Happy Mama said...

You could take on Angelina anyday! Go girl!
You always make me think...keep on shooting!

SS said...

Isn't shooting awesome??? One of my favorite things to do. How is it that you always manage to take some lesson or analogy out of everything? That's quite a gift you have!

Brad and Amy said...

Shooting a gun???? If you are going to be a gunslinger, I'm pretty sure that it is time for you to move back to Texas. Or at least come down for a visit!!!!Come on back and I'll hook you up with some boots and a cowboy hat.